Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bible House Blues

I'd never noticed this building before... It's called the Bible House and it was built in 1910 by a bookseller called James Hope. It caught my eye today as I was walking east on Queen Street. I'm not sure what's on the ground floor of the building, I'll have to check it out on Sparks. It's probably a Starbucks or a souvenir shop, stuffed beavers in Mountie uniforms and inukshuks made in China.

And the Mayflower is no more. That's old news, but I still wince every time I go by the building, the old gargoyles now standing guard over the neon sign from some generic franchise. I never even ate at the Mayflower before it went under, but I rather liked seeing it there, stuck between two government-issue cubicle boxes.

2 comments:

Don Miller said...

It was actually built in 1855! The Bible House then moved to it's present location at 315 Lisgar in 1922

SEA said...

Thanks for the info, Don!