Friday, November 07, 2008

It ain't over till it's over

I don't know what this plant is, but you just have to admire the grim determination with which it's clinging to life. I found it on a bike path I stumbled upon at lunchtime today, when I was looking for a shortcut back to the office from an exploratory walk around the neighborhood. I'd seen what looked like a woods along Clyde Avenue on the Google Maps satellite photos, so I set out to investigate and found... well, it's a woods all right, but it certainly isn't anything like the Montfort Woods. Probably nicer in the spring and summer, but nothing to waste a stamp writing home about.

Note the tar spot disease on the maple leaf -- it looks like the West End is making a slower recovery. In the East End there's only a few trees here and there still affected by the tar spots, but in Nepean there's almost no difference from last year. I wonder if the different soils have anything to do with it.

In other news, I don't know what's wrong with Flickr today, but I'm glad it's not my server acting up that way.

0 comments: