Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bye Bye Michèle

Bye Bye MichèleMichèle Demers (here at a May Day rally in Ottawa in 2008) was President of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada from 2005 until her sudden passing last night at age 58.

Somewhere I still have the button she gave me when I first met her as a rookie steward in 2001. It said "A woman's place is in her union."

At one time I saw myself following in her footsteps, but the 90 hours a week and the stress and the constant fighting with certain people who will fight anything for the sake of fighting proved to be too much for me. She was the one who received my resignation when I dropped it all and went back to my camera and writing and walking in the woods.

She will be genuinely missed, I know, by many people who knew her for the strong and beautiful woman she was. But she should have had the time to sit down and relax and enjoy her dogs and her grandchildren.

Bye bye, Michèle. On se reverra au Parc Belmont.

0 comments: