Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lightroom vs Capture NX

Lately I've been having one hell of a time getting the colour right on my RAW files, so I decided to download Nikon's Capture NX just to see if it was any better than Lightroom at handling Nikon RAW files. And the answer is: err, yes, very much so.

This is just a quick compare using only the basic adjustments in both applications. The Lightroom image is on the left, and the Capture NX image is on the right. I think we can all agree that the Lightroom image looks more than a little flat compared to the Capture NX. What you can't see here is the noise in the background, which is quite noticeable at high resolution in the Lightroom image. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but the Capture NX image could almost go to print without any further adjustments.

3 comments:

Colina said...

Well,that is a marked difference. I'm going to download NX again and give it a try. I just got impatient with it being slow, but perhaps if it edits better that might make up for it.

PvR said...

I'm still test-driving Capture NX 2 and it can be frustratingly slow. However, I like some of the things it allows me to do, especially since I am not good enough to take good shots in the first place. When my 60 days is up, I'll probably have to break down and buy it.

SEA said...

I really like the results I'm getting from Capture NX2, but for me the performance is a major obstacle to shelling out the $120 for it. There's just no excuse for that kind of sluggishness...