Monday, July 19, 2010

Dragonflies at Beechwood


1/160

There's always something to shoot at Beechwood Cemetery, and these days drangonflies are stealing the show at the little pond behind the hosta garden. I'm not sure if it's a question of environment or which species are present, but they are much more difficult to photograph than the ones at Meech Lake. The big showy green one I really wanted eluded me for two hours last night; I'll see if I can do better this evening...

TECHNICAL NOTES:

Picture taken with my Micro Nikkor 105mm F/2.8, which is not the most suitable lens to use on extremely fast flying subjects. The lens is superb in all respects but focusing speed, and trying to focus on creatures that are coloured to blend in with their surroundings is not helping the lens one bit. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure which lens *could* be called suitable for photographing dragonflies...

Shot at ISO 200, F/6.3, 1/160. If I had to do it again (and the critter gave me any time to think about it), I would use a wider aperture and a faster speed.

0 comments: